Capital Gains Tax: What You Should Know

If you sell or “dispose” of a property that has been appreciated since you initially acquired it, you may be subject to capital gains tax on the increase in value. Remember that you will only be taxed on the profit, not on the overall value of the transaction. Please keep this in mind while making your decision. This taxable gain will be added to your projected income to determine the amount of tax owed to the government.


Taxes on the Sale of Property

When Should You Pay?

You will likely be taxed if you sell a second home or a buy-to-let property or if you rent out a part of your primary residence. CGT applies to commercial property, land, and inherited property. You may deduct costs like legal and estate agency fees, stamp duty, and surveying fees when calculating your gain. Continue reading to know more info here.


Private Residence Relief

When you sell a home that you have lived in as your principal residence for the whole of your ownership, PRR will deduct the gain from your CGT. You must meet this and all other PRR requirements to be eligible for the relief.


Second Homeowners

Those selling a second home or a buy-to-let property must pay CGT on any profit they make after subtracting any allowable expenses and allowances. The taxable gain is considered the “top slice” of your earnings. Basic rate taxpayers pay 18 percent, while higher and additional rate taxpayers pay 28 percent.


Multiple Residence

The definition of the main residence under tax law is complicated, but to put it simply, it is your home. Of course, home is much more than merely where you live, and it will be relatively easy to describe in most circumstances. If you own several homes, you may designate one as your main, tax-free residence. It doesn’t need to be your main home all of the time, or even the majority of the time.


You may want to choose the property where you expect to make the greatest money when you sell it. After acquiring a second home, you have two years to designate it as your main, tax-free residence. Suppose you are married or in a civil partnership. In that case, you may only designate one property between you and your spouse or civil partner.


Actions to Take

HMRC requires you to submit a CGT return and pay the tax within 30 days of the completion date. HMRC will levy penalties and interest if you fail to register or pay tax when required. You will need to prepare ahead of time to ensure that you fulfill the new 30-day limit, especially given the short period. Unless you fall into one of the categories for whom the use of digital technology is not reasonably expected, you must submit your CGT return and payment online through HMRC’s government portal.


You may also want to read: House Valuation for Probate in London



Depending on your tax bracket, you will owe capital gains tax (CGT) at a rate of 18 percent, 28 percent, or a mix of the two. As is standard procedure, you must provide information on how the return was handled with your submission whenever you submit a tax return. You will be responsible for making any required tax adjustments on your behalf through self-assessment, as is standard practice.